A prescription from your doctor will be required for buying the patch form open market. The patch does not provide any protection against sexually transmitted diseases. If somebody uses birth control patches regularly she will never need to enter a medical abortion centre in the whole of her life span.
Birth control patches are a contraception used by women. It contains certain hormones known as progestin and estrogen. This patch is placed on the skin of the candidate once in a week continuously for three weeks. During the fourth week it is not placed on the skin. The working of birth control patch is similar in nature to the working of birth control pills. Birth control patch releases hormones into the bloodstream of the user thereby restricting the ovaries from releasing. It also thickens the cervical mucus thereby preventing the sperm from coming near to an egg.
Advantages of Birth control patches
Birth control patches have some advantages over other types or birth control methods. Some of them are listed below
- It eradicates interruption to sexual act for want of contraception
- Your partners co-operation is not needed for using it
- It does not require any daily attention as no daily activities are involved in its usage
- It produces required dose of hormones steadily
- It is easier for women to use as no swallowing is needed
- It can be removed anytime helping the candidate to recapture fertility quickly
Birth control patches may not be suitable to some persons. Your health care provider may refuse to prescribe birth control patches for you if you are:
- above the age of 35
- have any history of heart attack, chest pain, stroke, high blood pressure etc
- have any history of liver cancer, uterine cancer, or breast cancer etc
- weigh more than 90 kilograms
- suffering from liver diseases or have migraine.
- suffering from diabetic related complications
- having unexplainable vaginal bleeding
- having yellowing of the whites of eyes or skin during pregnancy or have experienced it in the previous pregnancies
- expected to undergo major surgeries that can restrict the movement of the patient.
- taking herbal medications or herbal supplements
- sensitive to birth control pills
Other important information which every woman wishing to use birth control patches has to report to her health care provider are detailed below.
- If the candidate is breast feeding or if she has recently given birth to a child or if she has recently undergone a miscarriage or abortion
- If any changes or bumps are seen in the candidate’s breast on self examination
- If taking epilepsy medications
- If the candidate is having diabetes or diseases related to heart, kidney, liver etc
- If the candidate is having high cholesterol triglycerides
- If having irregular periods
- If the candidate is having depression
- Have skin conditions like psoriasis or eczema
What are the risk factors?
Only one out of hundred women who use birth control patches have been found to become pregnant accidently. This is really better compared to oral contraceptives. This patch does not protect the user against STDs
What are the side effects of birth patches?
Like every medication, use of birth control patch also has its own side effects some of which are listed below.
- Blood clotting problems, risk of heart attacks, liver cancer, stroke, gall bladder disease etc get increased
- Most of the patients experience skin irritation
- Tenderness and pain in the breast are experienced by some
- Menstrual bleeding can become painful
- Headaches occur repeatedly
- Some patients show nausea or vomiting
- Some patients may feel abdominal pain
- Mood swings or weight gain is often shown by the candidates who use birth control patches.
- Diarrhea, dizziness, muscle spams acne, etc are shown by some patients
- Vaginal infections and discharge occurs in some patients
- Fatigue and fluid retention is found in some cases.
Studies show that high level of estrogen is noticed in the case of abortion patches than that produced while taking abortion pills orally. Therefore there are chances of higher risk of estrogen related side effects like blood clots etc.
Therefore, it can be concluded that opting for birth control patches is the best option for women as it has many advantages and one need not have to go to family planning abortion clinic washington to have children only when needed by the couple.